Announced this week, Unitrends establishes itself as force to be reckoned in the Disaster Recovery marketplace with its inclusion onto one of the most prestigious lists in the IT industry. Gartner provides analysis and evaluation of the leading providers that offer a range of traditional to innovative recovery capabilities. Being added to the “Magic Quadrant” along with receiving the highest rankings in the SMB to Mid-Market space on the 2014 DCIG report, Unitrends brand has quickly risen to the top of the class. To see how the Unitrends competes against the rest of the backup vendors you can visit their website at http://www.unitrends.com/resources/competitive-analysis. Below is the report on Unitrends from Gartners.
A privately held company that has been around for over two decades, Unitrends has become more visible in the past two years, growing its installed base to over 10,000 customers (including 3,000 from the PHD Virtual acquisition). Unitrends targets mainly the midmarket with a series of integrated Recovery-Series backup appliances, which are also sold as software-only virtual appliance solutions called Unitrends Enterprise Backup. The vendor also offers cloud backup to its own data center. With the December 2013 PHD Virtual acquisition, Unitrends acquired two products: a VM-specific backup product, which has been renamed Unitrends Virtual Backup, and ReliableDR, an automated DR orchestration and testing tool, which is now integrated with both backup products, offering customers site recovery capabilities for private cloud and Unitrends’ cloud deployments.
Unitrends’ all-in-one appliances can support a wide range of operating environments and applications with comprehensive functions, and can scale up to 500 physical servers and 5,000 VMs (VMware and Hyper-V) per appliance. Multiple appliances, including those dispersed geographically, can be managed with a single user interface. Unitrends also provides postprocess, content-aware, byte-level deduplication on the target side. Unitrends Virtual Backup targets IT generalists in smaller environments with easier agentless management and a centralized Web interface across VMware, Hyper-V and XenServer.
- Unitrends Recovery-Series appliances and Unitrends Enterprise Backup software offer comprehensive features, and the integration with ReliableDR offers additional DR capabilities.
- The vendor’s backup products have been well-tested in the field with over 10,000 customers.
- Customers like the all-in-one licensing and centralized management of multiple appliances, including those dispersed geographically.
- Although Unitrends is currently committed to continued development of Unitrends Virtual Backup, customers and prospects should nevertheless check on its road maps before renewal and purchase.
- Unitrends offers only NAS backup over NFS or CIFS.
- The vendor’s backup products do not support array-based snapshots.
For more information or to see a live demo, please fill out the below fields.